Monday, April 23, 2012

Nap vs. Rest

A couple years ago Helen started the "I don't want to take a nap!" thing. So aggrivatiing. I mean, she would stay in her bed (this is the girl that when she moved out of her bed at 18 months would ask us is she could get out of bed in the mornings - if we said no, she would stay in there until we told her she could get out), but it was starting to be a battle to get her to be quiet and actually go to sleep! Eventually it got to where she wouldn't sleep at all, then be cranky later. Finally I got smart - I explained to her the difference between a nap and a rest and gave her the choice. A nap, you have to go to sleep. A rest, you don't sleep, you just lay there, but you have to be quiet and still. Well, you tell a child they don't have to take a nap and they will do anything! And what happens when a three year old lays in her bed and stays quiet and still? She falls asleep, of course!! Worked like a charm. Still does, haha!
I introduced this to Aubree today. She was so excited she didn't have to go to sleep! As I am typing this, she is sound asleep, haha! So if you are experiencing this with your child, try this!

1 comment:

  1. I'm keeping this in my head for when I need it!!! :) Thanks!! And glad it's working for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete